This is most certainly a make-ahead recipe. And before that scares you off, think about the HUGE benefit of a "make-ahead" dish. Time. Anything that lets you get away with preparation ahead of time is golden! Food that can sit in the fridge or freezer for a couple of days before it needs to be served is perfect for entertaining, perfect for busy schedules, and in this case, perfect for summer!
While flipping through the pages of the latest Delicious magazine I came across a simply sweet recipe for Milk and Honey Parfaits with raspberries. SOLD. A seemingly easy recipe, another short ingredient list, and some perfectly paired flavors.
Here's what you'll need:
5 egg yolks
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons honey
300 ml milk
300 g mascarpone cheese
fresh honeycomb and raspberries to serve
*I added a good sprinkling of slices almonds to serve as well, (nice texture, color and crunch!)
Here's what you'll need to do:
1. Line a 22 cm x 12 cm loaf pan with a few layers of plastic wrap, making sure to leave a considerable amount of plastic hanging over the edges of the pan on all sides.
2. Place the eggs yolks, sugar and honey in the bowl of stand mixer and beat with until the mixture is thick and pale. A large bowl and hand mixer would work just as well.
3. In a small saucepan, heat the milk over medium-high heat until just below the boiling point.
4. Gently beat the milk into the egg mixture then slowly fold in the mascarpone with a spatula until the mixture is smooth and well combined.
5. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan, cover with additional plastic wrap and freeze overnight.
When ready to serve, remove the brick from the plastic wrap and slice with a sharp knife. Serve in individual bowls topped with fresh honeycomb, tart raspberries and sliced almonds for a perfectly creamy, pleasantly cool summer treat!
This dessert would be a perfect mid-summer lake treat made with local dairy products, farm fresh eggs, local honey and wild raspberries picked in the woods, I can't wait!