Thursday, June 25, 2009

Peanut Butter Cups





So I was sitting here this morning thinking about how little I would actually get done before work this afternoon, not much I am sure, and I noticed the chocolate easter bunny sitting on top of the fridge, eyeing me like there was no tomorrow.  I can tell you that his attitude was poor and he wouldn't stop looking at me so I promptly dealt with the issue and chopped him up... 


Once he was in satisfying little bits, (about 454g or 1 lb) I dumped the pieces into a glass bowl set atop a pot of simmering water and let that bunny melt, melt, melt...  


...during which time I put together the filling.  Creamy peanut butter, powdered sugar and a splash of vanilla.  I think the best ratio would be 1 cup of peanut butter to 1/2 cup of powdered sugar with a good splash of vanilla, this ratio yields a delightfully smooth consistency where as adding a little more sugar would give you a much more tacky texture that globs more so than oozes, the choice is yours...



Now I must confess that I would normally use a semi-sweet chocolate chunk or even a good quality chocolate chip for something like this, but that rabbit wouldn't stop mocking me from his fridge top perch, so, he had it coming.  Pull out a muffin tin and place a muffin liner in each cup.  
 


Once the chocolate is oozing and velvety, use a stiff pastry brush to paint the liners with chocolate, making sure to coat the sides and bottom fairly evenly.  Once you have your liners painted, pop the whole tray into the freezer to set the chocolate.  



Once the chocolate is set, this takes only minutes, spoon some of the peanut butter filling into each cup.  The bunny, which was about 454 g, lines about 9 large muffin cups with enough to seal the tops, so keep that in mind while dividing the filling.  Use your finger to smooth out the peanut butter so that the surface is flat.  This will make it easier to cover the tops with the rest of the melted chocolate. 



Divide the rest of the chocolate, minus whatever you might eat with a spoon, between the peanut butter cups and gently swirl the chocolate on top to seal the edges.  Once you have covered each cup, pop the tray into the fridge to set one more time.  If you are hungry and impatient like me, I would highly recommend that you pop the tray into the freezer, which will set the chocolate faster allowing you to eat quicker!


Trust me, even a few minutes wait is agonizing...



So, when they're ready, and when you are ready, pull them back out of the freezer and take them out of the tray.  Don't remove the liners until you are ready to eat the peanut butter cups as the liners keep everything intact and melt free.  Peel back the paper and voila, the perfect and unspoiled union of chocolate and peanut butter!  Enjoy a couple, or three or four with a glass of milk and call it a day! If you can find a better way to dispose of one eyed chocolate easter bunny's with attitude, I applaud you!


No comments: