Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Chocolate Chip Muffins





Now I must admit, when it comes to my breakfast, anything, I mean absolutely anything goes.  Spaghetti and meatballs, leftover pizza, if it is in my fridge, it is on the menu. Although my taste buds are accustomed to an often bizarre and backwards morning diet, I thought I should refrain from subjecting my recent houseguest (my kid sister) to an atypical breakfast courtesy of the cave which is my fridge.


While she slept in the relatively sunny guest bedroom, I whipped together an easy and satisfying recipe for classic chocolate chip muffins.  I was sure that the scent of vanilla and chocolate wafting through the house would have her dragging her pajama-pant clad legs into the kitchen bright eyed, bushy tailed and ready for breakfast in no time. I was right...



Chocolate Chip Muffins

What you'll need...

2 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup light-brown or dark-brown sugar (both yummy, how about mixing the two?)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup sour cream or plain yogurt 
1/2 cup butter - melted and coooooooooled.
2 eggs - beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla or the seeds scraped from one vanilla pod (extra yum!)
1 1/2 cups chocolate chips
1/2 cup walnuts, pecans, peanuts or macadamia nuts (optional, nuts add good fat, protein and a lovely crunch!)

Preheat your trusted oven, or not so trusted oven, to 400 degrees F. Grease or line 12 muffin cups.  (I usually line the muffin cups to cut out another bit of extra fat and it gives me an excuse to pull out the funky muffin cups too! Win win!)

In a large, roomy bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.  In another, slightly less roomy bowl, stir together the sour cream/yogurt, eggs, cooled butter and vanilla until well blended.  Using your well cleaned fingers or a spoon, make a well in the center of the dry ingredients.  Add the wet mixture and stir everything together until just combined. (Over mixing can lead to a chewy and tough muffin with a slightly dry crumb.) At this point, stir in the chocolate chips and the nuts if you are using them.

Spoon the batter into the muffin cups and bake the little dudes for about 15 - 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out almost clean. (I pull these guys out just a fraction of a moment before the toothpick comes completely clean so that they don't overcook from the residual heat.)  Once done, pop the muffins onto a wire rack until they are cool enough to handle.  Personally, they are best out of the oven while the chocolate is still oozing and melting all over the place (this usually means they are ALL gone before they have even a moment to cool.)

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Kyle said...

nikki, i made it with a large yet cramped bowl and it totally didnt turn out.

Nikki said...

I appreciate the comment, those large yet cramped bowls can be tricky.