Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Hmmm...lunch!



So, what you will need for lunch...

Egg Salad
5 large eggs
mayonnaise
dill (dried or fresh)
paprika
fresh lemon juice
dill relish (just trust me and read on.)
salt and fresh ground pepper
baguette, bagels, or whatever you have on hand for 'sandwiching'
mixed greens for decoration (ok, ok, and for nutrition.)


Now, begin by preparing your eggs, which simply means get those eggs in a pot, add enough cold water to cover the tops of the eggs by a scant half inch and then pop those babies on the stove top and get that water boiling. 


A secret for you.  To avoid those ugly, unpalatable grey rings from forming around those perfectly sunshine yellow yokes, pop the lid on the pot as soon as the water starts to boil.  Keep the pot on the stove BUT turn the heat off and start a timer for 12 minutes.  Once the time is up, pour the hot water out of the pot and fill the pot with ICE cold water and let the eggs bathe for 3 minutes.  The sudden blast of cold with stop the eggs from overcooking.  This cooking process will produce a deliciously moist center, a rubber-free egg-white and most importantly, NO GREY RINGS! YAY!  Once you have calmed yourself from the excitement, peel those babies and toss them into a nice, roomy bowl.


This part is a little open to interpretation.  (So, what I am trying to say is, these are only guidelines, feel free to add whatever your stomach, I mean your heart, desires.  Feel free to subtract anything you wish also... this is YOUR lunch, make it YOU!)  Plop some mayonnaise onto the eggs, I start with about 1 tablespoon and add a little at a time as I need to.  Generally speaking though, I keep the eggs from drowning in too much mayo, bad for the taste and bad for the heart... Next, sprinkle a scant tablespoon of dill into the bowl.  I recommend fresh, but as you can see in the photo, I only had dried on hand, but honestly, it works well in egg salad anyway.
 

The next thing I add is something you can omit if it makes your taste buds quiver, but I can tell you that the addition of 1/4 teaspoon of good Hungarian Paprika gives this dish just the right amount of KICK!  At this point, I also add a sprinkle of lemon juice, salt and fresh ground pepper.


With the back of a fork, mash everything together until you have a slightly chunky consistency, don't mash until you have a paste, keeping it a little chunky gives the egg salad a nice texture.  See how the paprika adds an orange hue to the eggs?  Ok, that green glop on the egg salad is my version of pickles in this dish.  If you had dill pickles on hand, dice a few very fine and throw them in to add yet another kick to your salad.  If you are without dill pickles, as I was this afternoon, pickle relish works equally well.  I added a little over 1 tablespoon.  I added the relish late because, oh this is embarrassing, I forgot about pickles initially...  


Now, scrounge up whatever you may have in the house for bread, this could be day old bagels, a loaf of bread or even crackers.  I used a crusty baguette for this sandwich and I sliced it on the bias to create more surface area for more egg salad.  Adorn your sandwich with whatever acoutraments you may need, mixed greens, a little butter, whatever you like, and then squish in some fluffy, spiced and satisfying egg salad.  Sandwich those bread slices together, and voila!  Lunch!  And you probably didn't even need to leave home for the ingredients either, bonus!



p.s while making this lunch, perhaps pop a window open to vent out some of the egg 'smell' that may induce your egg-salad-hating husband to start complaining the minute he walks in the door.  I suppose my nose is not quite as sensitive as his...love you Brock!

1 comment:

andrea said...

I love egg salad!
Track & Field day used to be my favourite when I was elementary school because we spent the entire day outside, and it was the only day of the year I could bring egg salad and not be made fun of for stinking up the classroom.